Hi guys! As I have been very busy with school these past few weeks, I thought it would be fitting to write a post about school. More specifically, I thought I would talk about my tips and tricks on how to stay on top of things while also having a life outside of school. Being a student a student can be pretty tough sometimes, so here are a few tips to cope with things :
- Be organised : To be honest, I live for my agenda. I write all the due dates for my papers and projects in it. I also write in all my work shifts and any other obligations or activities I may have. At the end of every week, I like to plan what I will work on and when I will do it for the next week. I also note that in my agenda, that you can see in my Back to School Essentials. I find it quite satisfying to cross them out once they are done.
- But don’t look too far ahead : Looking at all the work that there is to do can be overwhelming sometimes. I know I have a tendency to look too far ahead and then panic about how I will never manage to do all of it in time. Just tackle things one at the time. Make a list of what you have to do, and then prioritize!
- Don’t leave everything until the last minute : I know it can be tempting to do so, especially at the beginning of the semester, when the school work is still pretty low. In my experience, leaving homework until the last minute is never a good idea. I usually like to get a head start at the beginning of the semester and try to do the most I can, so that when midterms come, I have already done a little. It makes it less intense.
- Do a little bit every night : I find it to be very unproductive to try to work on projects and papers for hours and hours. After a few, I get bored and lose most of my concentration. Instead, I prefer to do a little bit at the time, but every day. When I have things to read, I separate the number of pages I have to read by the number of days I have to do so. For instance, if I have 50 pages to read, in five days, I read 10 a day. If the number turns out to be an uneven one, I round it up to the next one up. I prefer to finish in advance rather than reading more pages on the last day. If I’m working on a paper, I also like to separate the steps. One day, I will plan it out, the next I will write the introduction, and so on.
- Don’t over do it : Sometimes, you need to take a break. I know it can be difficult, I am the first one to over do it. But I have learned that sometimes, you just need to stop, let it go and go to bed. I know it can be difficult to stop when you feel you haven’t studied enough, but the thing is, if you are half dead due to the lack of sleep, chances are, you aren’t retaining anything anyways. So I prefer to go to bed earlier, and be more awake for the exam. If it it necessary, you can even get up a little earlier the next morning to finish studying. After a good night’s sleep, your memory will be much better. If you are well rested, you will probably also perform better during the exam. Also, don’t take on too many responsibilities. It is nice to be involved or to work, but if you fill your agenda too much, you will crash under the pressure and won’t be more advanced. Don’t take on too much.
- Surround yourself with good people : Being well surrounded is very important in school, as well as out of school. Making friends in your class can make college a lot better. First of all, it makes class a lot more fun, it gives you something to look forward to, someone who can understand what you are going through. Second of all, it also means you have a study buddy! A nice way to test your knowledge and see how much you’ve retained is to have someone quiz you. Lastly, it also gives you someone to hang out with between classes. Having friends outside of school can also be really good. Sometimes it is nice to have the opinion of someone that is a little more distanced from the situation, and also, you get to hear more about different stories and stuff.
- Don’t be a perfectionist : It is a good thing to aim towards having the best grades ever. But don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Sometimes, you will get lower grades, but you know what? It is fine. Learn from it, better yourself and then go at it again. Perfection doesn’t exist, and as I said, aim for an A+ or a 100%, always do the best you can, but don’t expect it and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get it. Don’t be too hard on yourself x
I think this is it guys! Thank you so much for reading. I hope these tips can help a few of you go through college. If ever you have any other tips, please leave them in the comments, I would love to read them. If you enjoyed the post, don’t forget to like and follow the blog either via email or the wordpress platform! You can also follow me on my social media, it is linked down below! I hope you have a lovely week,
See you soon,